Thursday, September 27, 2018

Rhombesque Rainbow



A Rainbow Scrap Challenge finish!  This was my 2016 RSC quilt, and I finally finished it earlier this summer.  It is Kathy Doughty's "Soul Searching" pattern from her book Making Quilts, but I call mine Rhombesque Rainbow, which is a better title than Diamond-Shaped Blocks in the Colors of the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  I quilted the diamond shapes in straight lines using my walking foot, and inspired by Quilting Jetgirl's circuit board motif, I quilted the neutral background diamonds in a circuit board motif.  That, at least, was my intention; however, my "circuit board" ended up looking like a maze for a fruit fly.  When machine quilting, I always begin quilting too small, so then the machine quilting takes forever, but I practiced my machine quilting, used a lot of scraps, and finished a quilt.  All good. . . . 

Thanks, Angela, for the Rainbow Scrap Challenge motivation each month.  I always look forward to the Saturday posts which bring colorful projects from all around the world.

Saturday, January 13, 2018

On Ringo Lake

January 13, 2018







OK!  My first Bonnie Hunter mystery--On Ringo Lake!  Nope, I haven't finished yet, and the reveal happened weeks ago, but that's how I quilt--s-l-o-w-l-y.  It has been a fun process though, and I have learned how to achieve better accuracy in piecing with Bonnie's tips. Now, I watch where I place the ruler.  There's another great tip from her--I think I first heard it in a Quilt Cam video--but I was reminded again in this clue




I'm not confident in my color choices, but I'm listening again to Bonnie and choosing fabrics in a lot of different ranges.  I began with my scraps, which is what initially brought me into trying this quilt.  I had several aqua/turquoise fabrics that I wanted to use, as well as several pieces of melon/salmon fabric that needed to be gone from my stash.  There were also chocolate brown fabrics to use.  When I realized how much of the fabric I had, I decided to jump in.  Since then, I have bought several fat quarters of all three colors to complete each clue--well, to work toward completing each clue. 


Never before have I cut fabric for an entire quilt without making blocks along the way to see whether I liked the block enough to pursue a finish.  What I have learned is that there are advantages and disadvantages to cutting all the pieces first.  An advantage is, I think, that I will save time when I begin to assemble the blocks.  They will be cut, and I can sit and sew.  Another advantage with this mystery is that I have been able to see alternative arrangements in Bonnie's link, so if I like an alternative better, I can  piece my block like the alternative.  A disadvantage is that if I hadn't liked the final quilt, I would have cut up a lot of fabric just to assemble a quilt fail.  Fortunately, that isn't the case, and I might add that doing a mystery quilt involves taking that risk. 


 Clues 1 and 2 complete and Clue 3 started





The 99K with a string of Clue 3 pieces 





Since these pictures, I've made more progress with ORL, but it will be awhile before I finish.  Can't wait to see how the completed quilt looks--


 

Sunday, November 5, 2017

Teach Us to Number Our Days


In November 2015, Audrey of Quilty Folk issued a challenge to make one circle for each day of the year—Quilty 365.  I began on November 5, 2015, and immediately got behind.  I would get caught up, then fall behind again.  Finally, I finished the top in August.  Making the backing, quilting, and binding remained.  This week—TA DAH--I finished completely.  I’m so glad that it’s finished. 

I’m of a certain age, and I realize that my days are not infinite.  This quilt serves as a reminder to me to savor each moment, appreciate each day.  It also reminds me to count my blessings.  Thanks, Audrey, for a wonderful challenge. 









Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Teach us to number our days. . . .

I finally finished the top for the Quilty 365 challenge proposed by Audrey of Quilty Folk.  It was, indeed, a challenge but really worthwhile, especially now that I can look back to reflect on the year.  I got behind within a week.  I caught up, I got behind, I caught up, and so the year went.  Finally, I added the bottom to the quilt.  Now, I must make a backing, quilt, and bind.  Wonder how long that will take. . . .  I am so glad that one commenter early on suggested offsetting each row.  I didn't worry about matching seams, and it's a good thing that I didn't have to match seams because I'm sure that I stretched far too many blocks.  Pardon the driveway background in the photos.  Tape wouldn't hold my top to the garage door, and nailing the top to the side of the house was out of the question.  Also, ignore the thread in that final shot.  I will be picking off threads from now until.  Now, I need to get the back made.  It will feature these words from Psalms:  "Teach us to number our days. . . ."  Then to the quilting.









Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Geese Migration at Dawn

RSC 2016 finish. . .

Last year was my first time participating in the RSC challenge.  First, I chose the pattern "Geese Migration," designed by Cynthia Brunz.  Then I eagerly awaited Angela's announcement of the main color and accent color for each month of  RSC 2016.  Kudos to you, Cynthia, for designing such a great block.  I learned a lot about accuracy in cutting and sewing as I was piecing these blocks.  Love those Flying Geese!  And thank you, Angela, for helping me to be bolder in my color choices and for helping me use my scraps. 

Here's my completed quilt based on Cynthia's design.

 
Geese Migration at Dawn
80" x 80"
 
 
 
 

    I am linking up with http://superscrappy.blogspot.com/ for the completed Rainbow Scrap Challenge quilts and with http://quiltingismorefunthanhousework.blogspot.com.  Go to both of these sites for some wonderful inspiration.